Tuesday, October 22, 2013

In My Bowl: Winter Squash


kabocha squash
kabocha, cooked
I’ve been all about squash lately. As in, that’s almost all I want, as far as veggies go. And why not? Winter squash is yummy and in-season!

I like to make “cereal” with cooked squash, almond butter, and eggs and topped with honey. I also make a savory version with winter squash, onion and eggs, cooked in coconut oil and/or ghee and topped with olive oil and salsa. You can make these as pancakes or as a scramble. Add salt to taste.

I have not felt like cooking lately and at times have just been putting onions, maybe some pepper, in a pot with chicken and cooked squash and heating it up.

Oh, but I did have some kale the other day and that was good. I ate it with squash (of course!) and had some store-bought goat milk kefir. That was breakfast one day.

A couple of times lately I have eaten at our local co-op and gotten salad and plantain chips. The second time I wanted some cream cheese (not GAPS legal) so I got some Nancy’s cream cheese which is cultured and ate that with plantain chips.

I also have been eating apples, both cooked and raw. You can peel or not, but the peel kind of gets in the way when you’re eating cooked apples. I usually peel the apple a little bit, cut it into bite-size pieces and cook in coconut oil until they’re the desired softness. Add some cinnamon and a sprinkle of salt if you like. Raw, I usually eat apples with peanut butter. Lately I love mixing peanut butter, shredded coconut, honey, vanilla, and salt (always salt!) and eating that as a dip with apples. You can also do this with almond butter. And sometimes I add cocoa powder.

I did try some potato not too long ago (not GAPS legal). I did okay with it except for a bit of tiredness which was probably from the sugar content. I had some one evening and then some the next day. But then I later proceeded to finish off a big potato and I think it was just too much. I had a bit of a stomach ache. 

Earlier in my GAPS journey, I was very careful not to have illegals except for some stevia, (though I have not been having stevia lately) but you can see I’m not sticking strictly with GAPS now. I’m not straying too far off the course though. I’m experimenting, trying things and seeing what works for me. But I’m ready to step back on all the way if need be.

What’s in your bowl lately?

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Your squash combinations sound good! I need to eat more veggies. I've been eating too much bread and other carbs lately, and I've been feeling sluggish. I've also had stomach issues. So I need to clean up my act.

Kristina said...

Carbs are so enticing, I know! As I said, I'm stuck on squash right now. The nice thing about squash is I can just cook one and then I've got squash for several days.