Monday, December 2, 2013

Zinc and Mood Stability


I’ve been supplementing with zinc pretty consistently since this past summer. I did stop for a few weeks and found that I needed to get back on it. It’s hard for me to talk about what’s working for me generally because most stuff doesn’t happen immediately, and it's not always consistent, plus at any given time I can be doing several new things at once. However, I do think that zinc has been doing some good things for me.

Improvements I credit to zinc:

o   Mood stability. This is what I started to notice first after taking the zinc. My mood seemed more stable. It’s not always stable currently, but I think overall, zinc has helped my mood. 
o   Improved mood. Something I’ve seemed to notice more recently is that I am able to be happier.

Zinc may also improve my sleep quality.

So does that mean that you need to supplement with zinc? Not necessarily. Your body is different and you may have a very different mineral status than I have. I did have a hair tissue mineral analysis (HTMA) done after I started the zinc and it did seem to show that I am burning through my zinc. I need it! I may have too much copper.

Some of my symptoms of zinc deficiency: 

o   Low stomach acid
o   Poor appetite (not always, but sometimes)
o   Slow and poor wound healing
o   Stretch marks (from when I was younger)

Zinc is necessary for so many things! Actually, minerals are very, very important and if you don’t have enough of them or the right balance of them, you can have problems.

So I’ve given you the positives, but what about the negatives?

Recently I’ve been getting some infections. Also, I rarely, rarely get sick and I’ve gotten sick. It’s possible this has nothing to do with the zinc, but I’m also wondering if the zinc is pushing excess copper out of me and leading to these infections and illness as the copper makes its way out.

A caution with supplementing with zinc is that you don’t want to get your zinc/copper balance off. Unless you’re working with someone, don’t take high amounts of zinc, especially for a long period of time.

1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

It's all a balancing act, it seems. I ran out of my multivitamins and haven't restocked. I'm trying to see if I feel different without taking it.